19 November 2012

#162 Advice from Fred Perry


For those that don't know, Fred Perry (of Gold Digger fame) is one of my favorite artist.  If I had to produce a list, he would always be at the top next to Rod Espinosa, Tony Wong, Eric Larsen, Cory Walker, Bart Sears and John Romita Jr and Neal Adams.

As an African-American male it has always been a source of pride to look at Fred and realize that if you truly put your mind to it, you can do what you put your mind too.  It only helps that Fred is as good of a writer as he is an artist.  In 1998  was so inspired by Fred, I decided to email him a message declaring him my idol.  What I said will be forever lost to the annals of time, but his inspirational response was not.


Subject: Re: You are my idol
May 26, 1998

Well, I don’t know what to say except thanks!

Your inspiring letter was just what I needed today..

I hope you don’t mind if I put it in the letter’s column for issue number 40..
I can concentrate on answering your questions thoroughly there..

As for writing, you have a difficult road ahead of you..But you’ll succeed if you don’t give up!  The most important and crucial step on your path to becoming a professional writer is the first one.  Develop your writing style by creating short stories, exclusively for yourself…Judge there content *harshly*.  Your characters should have conflics with themselves (inner confics) or others that make their situation meaningful. ..They should be easy to identify with and easy to identify…If you write a line like “At first, science and archaeology was more of a hobby, but then, when I found out that you could meet cute guys while you’re working, I began to take a full time interest in it!” you have a pretty good idea who said it…

Most of all make stories and characters that *you* enjoy and everyone else will enjoy it too.

Fred.

I kept the printed version of that letter and keep it to this day.  A word of inspiration from my idol.  His message of judging yourself harshly and developing deep characters with both conflicts and inner conflicts has resounded with me and that's why I do just that. 

I got to meet Fred in person and he drew my Facebook picture which has remained the same ever since.

If you ever get a chance, check out his amazingly awesome comic book series Gold Digger.  It's my favorite, and once you get into it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well.


Gold Digger Platinum By Perry, Fred/ Perry, Fred (ILT) (Google Affiliate Ad).Gold Digger Platinum 3 By Perry, Fred (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments:

Post a Comment