01 May 2017

Machinimastery: Grand Theft Auto 5

Content creators around the world rejoiced when Rockstar released Grand Theft Auto 5 for PC and Current Generation Consoles. The ability to record in-game footage without the need for an external device was seen as a definite call out to the fans to help expand the games utility past single and mulfi-player. Since its introduction, aspiring film makers have been making
some legitimate, high quality short films. These amazing creators have pushed the (Rage) Engine further than anyone thought possible. I'm going to explore elements that are often neglected by a lot of the Machinima creators, not just covering the technical side.

I learned most of my film making techniques from Robert Rodriguez. His book Rebel without a Crew was instrumental in building the courage for me to pursue film making. You might be wondering why I am mentioning this? lt's because I want you to adopt the mindset of a film maker. A rebel independent film maker. You're going to create something with a similar mindset. This is not a tutorial. You're going to have to learn the technial aspects of creating GTA V Machinima on your own.  l'm
merely the transmitter for your imagination; showing you how, why, and what is possible.

My Process

Creating a machinima in theory is no different from creating a short film. There is a specific type of mindset and intent that goes into one. When I'm creating a machinima, I have a type of project in mind. I always start with the concept i.e. the idea in its simplest form. This can be broken down into a one or two word description.  Examples are: Gun fight, race, chase scene, zombies. This puts me in a specific mindset while still keeping my mind open to new interpretations. Coming up with a concept using GTA 5 requires understanding the strengths and limitations of the game and it's engine. 

You know that GTA 5 is limited to the Los Santos (aka California area). You can't make a fantasy machinima nor can you pretend thot you are in a foreign city like Rome or Tokyo. lt's no different from indie film making. Creative use of available location is more important than the ability to be in a foreign city.


My Concept

A man races his car in the desert as an escape from a traumatic event. I will give it the temporary title Straight Line.


Note: I am new to this; specifically to making Machinima with GTAV. Prior to this l've never created Machinima before, but always had the desire to do so, The first version of Straight Line is simply a race from Point A to Point B with different camera angles.

That's the concept in the simplest form.  Easy to follow and easy to visualize.


Story

After giving it some thought I came up with a basic story to move the project forward.  Straight Line's story is about a young woman who comes back to her old home to do one last race.  Without giving away the details, I know how I will do this story with the hope that I can make it interesting enough for people to watch.


I'll be back soon for more information to share about my experience.

Kenan.

No comments:

Post a Comment