12 March 2018

The Demons/Angels of Demonetizion

April 2017, YouTube determined that to qualify for Partnership you need 100,000 lifetime views.  My channel met that requirements.  Monetization, never was a big deal since I didn't earn enough to actually make anything, but it was nice to have.  It was like incentive to try and do better, to improve and make content that appealed to both advertisers and audience.

All of that changed when YouTube announced they were making changes to the Partnership Program.

"...the eligibility requirement for monetization to 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers."

I wasn't going to make that.  I wasn't even close.  I didn't have single content or even groups of content that amounted to those sort of numbers.

"Matthew McConaughey Those are Rookie Numbers..."
I wasn't reaching enough people.  I wasn't making quality content.  What was I even doing?  While I found what I created worthwhile, everyone did not share the same opinion, or maybe I simply wasn't taking the right steps to get my content in more places.

Without monetization; I wouldn't have the desire to create videos; since I knew that there was no chance of any of them making money.  It sounds a lot more dramatic than it is.

In truth, I have no other reason to make videos other than to make them.  I've discovered that I really enjoy making content.  Even if I'm not getting a chance to monetize it.  The more content I create, the larger the potential audience.  It also helps me improve by forcing me to always keep an eye on what changes affect what people like.

The new partnership rules have a point of encouragement, and while morale about the changes is low, if you can see the changes as nothing more than new hurdles, then you can find what it takes in order to reach them and beyond.


No comments:

Post a Comment