12 January 2019

Dreamscape: The pursuit of a virtual existence.

Recently, I got my hands on the Oculus Go; the latest virtual reality headset now being produced by Facebook and the Zuck.  

Image result for oculus go

I've been following Oculus and its founder Palmer Luckey  and as I predicted many years ago, he was somebody who really got it.  Where it seemed everything up to that point was either too big, too small or not enough, the Oculus Rift was a more pure concept to me than anything else had been.  The world has changed since it did and now virtual reality is starting to see the light it was always meant to shine under.  


I'm starting to feel the virtual world come to life.  I've watched this sort of evolutionary transcendence before.  Video Games, Computers, Cellphones, Portable Devices, USB Storage.  I've seen it happen before and usually once I'm convinced that it is at a point; I go in full stock behind it.  I ain't always right.  Sometimes I do get it wrong, but the big ones.  Comic books, the Internet, Social Media, Online Dating, Digital Camera ;), I've been right on and I've got this urge that a merger is going to take place.  I'll speak on that in a microsec.

The Oculus Go wasn't the first VR headset, but let me tell ya, it's the one that has really showed me what I have to look forward to.  I've tried Google Cardboard and while it was nice and has great features, for some reason it didn't make me feel immersed enough.  There was always that notion, that sense that i was still looking at my Zenfone 2.  With the Go, I have that slight sensory twinge that is starting to to tell me that a first stage of immersion (for me) has been reached.

The Oculus Go is not even the newest or most powerful, but it is portable.  Not requiring a PC connection is something that really adds to the experience.  You are untethered and when it comes to full immersion, I really :) that. 

I've made it clear that the Go won't be my last purchase.  I'm going to start digging until I find the best and max ultimate experience that gives me the ability to go fulldive and ignore this offensive reality when I have the time to do dive in.👍

Back to the Merger.  So my sneaking suspicion tells me at some point VR is going to hit a singularity point with the social conscious.  The thing about VR over Augmented Reality is about the mind set of the person.  Augmented Reality is about bringing those elements into this world.  Which is Ryzen, but that's not what everyone wants or needs.  Virtual Reality is all about the escape.  Escape isn't a bad thing.  We all carry hard drives of mental and emotional storage and for some of us, the only way we can find some balance is to find a means to escape from what torments us.  It's one of the reasons I play videogames.  My hope is that more people adopt the mindset of wanting to have a place to get away too, when the physical body is trapped.   I don't even look at this from a purely entertainment perspective.  I'm scanning a much bigger picture.

A person paralyzed, but can still control their gaze...
An elderly person in an assisted living facility.
A person with dementia
Children with learning disabilities.  
Children who need space from other children but still need to learn
Sickly children who cannot attend traditional education

VR has the ability to affect so much more than just games and radical 3D Videos.


No comments:

Post a Comment