30 November 2019

What Warframe taught me about the Grind and the Universe

Ever want to feel like a badass.  Warframe will get that done for you.
I'm standing inside the dojo of the Alpha Hunters dry dock that I effectively built when Warframes Rising Tide update dropped.  It took some time as I had to call in the clans leader; Rampagexeon because I was having some initial troubles doing so.  Sorry I driftframe.

It's like buying your first yaacht.  Call me liljackie


So I'm standing here looking at my Railjack.  My Railjack aka my ship for all non-Tenno.  In less than 10 hours I will be able to access something that I have desired ever since I first saw it at Tennocon 2018.  From the first Fortuna reveal, to more of what it would be in Tennocon 2019.  

Each time when something new was introduced, I was ready and willing to put it all on the line to acquire whatever I needed with a sort of fervor that warrants notions of concern for videogame addiction.

As I stand here, again drifting off; I'm reminded of how I got here.  Certainly money was spent, real hard earned platinum lucre converted from American dollars, but even that amounted to work.  I'm reminded that consistency is what allowed for all of this to happen.  

Someone once said "the best thing you can do is show up.", but I disagree.  I think it's more to it than that.  I think the best thing you can do in any, and all things is persistPersistence will get you through the hardest times.  Money without persistence merely exists. 

I had to work hard to acquire the amount of credits necessary to build this ship.  I started with only a million + credits.  I needed 6,000,000.  I didn't get it from doing missions; I took a more practical approach and one that I knew would pay off.  I sold mods for credits.  Every so many years I accumulate a ton of mods from doing missions everyday.  Mods can be sold for credits.  I never sell all of a mod, only enough that it won't hinder me in anyway.  This is a very sound financial principal.  Accumulate more of what you need as long as it maintains constant valueNothing that depreciates in the game is worthwhile other than argon ;).
I'm so excited.  I cannot hide it.  I'm about to fly a ship and I think I like it.

There is the fact that killing many Exelus units has resorted to an abundance of Harrow, Oberon, Ash parts that since I have those Warframe and don't need, I can sell them.  I've had more parts than a grave yard das bones.  Having sellable assets for when times are lean is an important lesson for any one who worries about their ability to accomplish newer and often more expensive tasks.   Because I am dwindling my supply down, It will take time to refresh the stocks so-to-speak.  Luckily enough that won't be a problem.

I've built myself up to be powerful largely through two specific actions; arriving and doing the things I don't like doing.  That includes running solo missions, spy missions, and other tasks.  In that effort to overcome for short comings in my own style, I've had to do the tasks that I specifically hate doing.  My clanmate and leader of the Alpha Hunters knows of my classic dislike for running spy missions; but the last time we had to run one, I was the one who accomplished two out of the three.

This also leads me to another point that I want to make.  If you gain nothing from this then take this to heart;  the way to achieve something reasonable is to fail at it.  Fail often, but fail forward.  Learn why you have failed and proceed not to make the same mistakes.  Every mistake is worthy of doing twice, once so you realize it is wrong and a second time to confirm that first thought.  Recognize that you've made a mistake and admit that you did.  Like the time I invested way too much time into the Dragoon.  Not the weapon i hoped it would be.

Whether programming, or learning to double jump back flip aim glide while targeting a rogue grineer who is about to be turned into Grendels lunch; the lessons I learned from Warframe were simple but heartfelt and made me realize who important it is to have milestones in life.  They help you chart where you are to where you have been.  Seeing your progress realized is a healthy motivator and helps you get through the tough times.  You're reminded of how far you have come.  It doesn't ever feel like a waste.  That's a part of Warframes grind and while I often grumble about it, I realize that it also brings me deeper in.

That irressistable pull of positive feedback; there's nothing like it.
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment