05 July 2009

Carving A Path To Success Pt. 2 (writing outside my comfort zone)

As I work on my latest screenplay, I've come to realize that while I am working outside my comfort zone, I've made sure that the zone is as comfy as possible. That usually shows a weakness as a writer. The old adage "write what you know" come to mind.

I am writing a horror movie with an action feel. Anyone who knows me, knows what an "action feel" means. For me to do this makes sense. I have justified said reasons in the following ways.

#1 I don't like traditional horror films. (with few exceptions)
Horror films are meant to suspend disbelief and that is something I can acknowledge fully. I just never got into masked human killer with strength to lift 300 lb man off his feet and survives lightning bolts to cranium type movies. I am willing to suspend disbelief as long as I feel it is plausible. I like some plausibility just as a way of saying hey it happened because of X=Y.

#2 I don't like a few of the modern horror trends
As my friend Musa refers to them, I don't like these torture films disguised as horror films. There really isn't much of a story, but basically how can I torture people in the most gruesome way possible and exploit the opportunity to make a sequel. (Hostel, Saw and a few others)

#3 Cliche' breaker
I want to break a lot of the stupid cliches that I see in movies.

I want to make a horror movie that I would want to watch and I know that I am not alone in my taste. I picked a genre of horror that appeals to me, and in the process will make the genre my own. It's tough because of the elements of horror, and me being generally fearless (generally) I have to dig deep to find what fear means to me in the horror movie element. I know that the japanese tend to have a different take on horror. The reason why it works so well in america, is because it's new and it's different. Fear is different per culture. I have to figure out what makes fear and yet combine it with the action elements that I think I am good at. A complicated task yes, but one I feel I am suited for.

No comments:

Post a Comment