30 November 2010

#77 Non-Believers Vs True Believers

Recently while trying to get a test film made I approached a guy skilled in just that.  I presented my story and the concept to him and awaited an answer.  When he responded back I was a bit shocked by his answer though not by his refusal.  His refusal was based on his opinion that Americans don't give a rip about Japanese influenced stories.  His decline to work on the project was appropriate and respectful, but I felt the need to add in a few things that I thought deserved clarity.

Here is my response in full.


I respect your opinion but I'd like to clarify a few things.

Eiko is not a Japanese legend film any more than The Last Airbender is an asian film. It has japanese elements in it such as names and designations but there is more to it than just that. Much of the world that Eiko exist in is as diverse as our own. Many elements are borrowed from standard D&D fantasy fiction.

Two: Americans care more about Japanese culture than you give them credit for. There is a market for asian themed stories and asian themed shows as shown by the large amounts of Japanese style animation on television and cable. There are also the various anime/manga conventions that happen multiple times a year.

Three: Even Hollywood has taken notice of anime/manga influences. Take for example The Matrix, Speed Racer, Dragon Ball Evolution, etc, etc. James "Titanic/Avatar Cameron has already stated that after Avatar 2, that his next project would be Battle Angel Alita which happens to be a seinen manga and OAV.

Four: Back in the early ninties I had an argument with someone over a particular anime series that had not reached american shores. That person told me that there was no way this series would ever come over here. It was in his words; too japanese for american taste. I told him that people appreciate something new and different and would like the anime for it's action and story telling. We argued up and down and in the end I was right. That series was Dragon Ball Z, probably the most success anime in the american market. Even now they are still making games for it. They made a live action movie based on it.

Five: Americans don't often know what they want until it is in their faces.

Six: American movie taste are fickle and can change at a moments notice.

Seven: Many successful movies were made from asian films. Star Wars from the Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress. The Grudge from Ju-on, The Ring from the Japanese novel Ringu, Dark Water from Honogurai mizu no soko kara, etc, etc. It is these Asian influences that made or modified the standard american look at films. We won't even talk about the John Woo effect even though that is Chinese, Asian still applies.

Eight: Even modern american comics have benefitted from asian influence. DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse have all produced manga version of their most popular characters to various degrees of success.

In closing I respect your view, but I disagree with it. I hope that this will not affect any further interaction between us.

No comments:

Post a Comment