03 November 2011

#116 An excerpt from "Half-Breed"

An excerpt from my NaNoWriMo entry Half-Breed.




The tree was older than I was but had grown with the most beautiful green leaves. I didn't notice any of that.  Instead  sat beneath it crying.  Beneath the haze of tears I could see my dad standing in the doorway of the house.  Our house.  The one that we shared when she was still here.

His head was low, and I could hear his heart beating, but all I could focus on was my own tears that fell from my face.  I wanted to yell, to scream.  My mother had warned me about doing it, but she wasn't here anymore.  She had left us, abandoned us and didn't even say goodbye.  The sorrow built up in my chest and I screamed.  I think my dad saw it before I did, and dove to the ground.

From my little throat came the most horrific sound of grief that expanded outward into a blast of energy. I couldn't see it, because my eyes were closed tight, but I could imagine it like watching heat waves rising in the air, except they were focused in a cone.  From my mouth, I could project sound as a force, but i couldn't control it.  The sound grew stronger as the windows of the house started rattling.  I wanted to stop, I had to stop, but I couldn't.  My sorrow and this power were tied together, and if I did one, I did the other.  My eyes opened, blurrred by the outpouring of tears in my eyes.  I was peeling the ground away like an orange skin, and my dad was laying on the ground cluthing his head.  I could sort of see his lips moving, but the sound of my own screams were too loud.  He would have had a better chance talking in a hurricane.  Somehow I had to control it, but i couldn't.  I missed her so much.  She'd never tell me stories again, or take me to the park, or cook, or do anything that mothers did.   She was gone and I knew it.  I could feel it.  She promised that she would never leave us, and yet I couldn't feel her anymore.  She just ceased to be, as if she had never existed.  I had run out of breath, but my tears didn't stop.  My dad got up and ran towards me, with no fear for his own safety.  He only wanted to be there to console me.

"Yuna, please..." was all I could make out before I took a deep gulp of air, and lost my focus.  I tried to keep it in.  My daddy was too close, but I couldn't control it.  He dived away faster that I would have thought he could, and made it to his feet.  I felt a brief sigh of relief, as the pressure welled up deep within me.  Another tormented scream ripped from my body, threatening our house.  I was so sorry.  Then he appeared in front of me.  It happened so fast that I couldn't register what happened.  It was as if I summoned him with my grief.  

Even with my screaming, I heard his voice as clear as if I hadn't been screaming at all.

"It's okay Yuna.  I'm here."

No comments:

Post a Comment