22 December 2011

#133 Being A Responsible Writer.

After the previous nights...fiasco.... where I obviously lost my mind, I decided to speak with a little more clarity and go over why being a responsible writer is important.

As a writer you have a responsibility to your art form.  Your work doesn't have to be perfect, but it must be able to stand the criticism of critics and contain the ability to be legible and clear.   You have to be able to tell a story and have your characters speak for themselves.

When I read the sample of Mr. Samuels MOW, I was somewhat appalled at the lack of time and effort placed within.



He told us things but didn't take the time to really describe anything.  Places, characters, how things looked character motivations.  We were told these things, instead of being allowed to figure them out.

I don't feel that the concept is terrible...

"Set in contemporary times, Mother of Witches is based on Selene, the Greek goddess of the moon and witchcraft. After her apparent destruction centuries ago, Selene is revived in modern times by an archaeological expedition. Unless the researchers can find away to destroy her, she will take over the world and create hell on earth."

 ...but the execution requires much work to make it something deserving of being handed to an audience.

Writing is an affair that you must commit to whole heartedly.  You must be responsible for the words you put to print because they not only represent the work at hand, but also your skill as a story teller.

Telling a story is difficult.  There is so much required of you, and it can be a challenge, but if you want to tell a story, you have to be prepared for these sort of things.  Even if you create the world of your story, you must supply it with details and realities to make your audience accept what they are being told.

If I tell my audience that this is the world of the future, then I must be able to present the world of the future in words to make them believe it.  Simply telling them isn't enough.  There must be proof that this is a place or time in the future of our world or the world that is selected.


 George Lucas told us that Star Wars took place "In a time long ago, in a galaxy far, far away." and then gave us the visual imagery to help sell us on that idea.  As a writer we must do the same.  He gave us the premise that this wasn't our time or place, and then presented us with the proof in big star ships flying through space, laser blasters and a six-foot tall antagonist with a deep voice.

Even if the story is presented from the characters perspective, that character cannot know everything.  They can only be aware of things that the character would know.  A fine example of this is Bella from Twilight.


 While Bella isn't a perfect character, she does represent what a character like her would know.  She does her research and learns more as the story progresses, and you witness that through her searching and being told things.  Her world expands as these events unfold.  She is often times puzzled and confused, and the character reflects that.

If you are going to do the work, then do the work and don't take the easy road out.

Now I can admit that I have been something to an ass in regards to Mr. Samuels so I have made a public apology on Amazon Studios forums, and I will repost it here.

"I really would like to apologize for my harsh words towards Mr. Samuels. He doesn't deserve the vicious venomous verbiage that I have hurled his way. For that I formerly apologize."

 It's time for me to put the entire JS situation to rest for good.  2012 is a new year and I wish him much success.  Now is the time to take responsiblity for my own writing, after all I have several new projects in the pipeline and they will be finished next year.

L8trz!


No comments:

Post a Comment