11 December 2012

#166 A short Review of Eric Elmoor and the Gauntlet of Godric


Welcome to Novogard – Where lands have been shattered from racial division. Where a powerful government has begun its encroachment onto unwilling societies. Where the magical and the technological collide.


Normally, I don't do reviews but when fellow Amazon Studio's semi-finalist posted on FB that he was writing a fantasy epic, I couldn't wait for the chance to sink my teeth in.  The author has done a fine job of moving from screenplays to novels and his first attempt is rather good.

Set in the world of Novogard the story is about the titular character Eric Elmoor, a young teen, who struggles to be somewhat normal, though that is's difficult task with purple eyes.  When enemies of the Novogard Assemblies attack Eric finds himself involved in a conflict, years in the making, involving the racial tensions between man and elves.  Along the way he learns of his true heritage, or at least that is what I am assuming will happen.  I've admittedly only read the sample chapters made available on Wattpad, but compared to *some* stories I've read both past and present; this is one that I enjoyed.

One of the things that I really enjoyed was that you really get a clear sense of the worlds history.  The author spared no time developing a rich world full of interesting places, past events and colorful characters that help the world feel; well more real.

Another thing that I really enjoy is that the author knows how to tell a story.  Never once did I feel lost, or a common mistake of most writers, disguising exposition as dialogue.  From a technical standpoint EEatGoG is pretty well put together.  There are a few weaknesses such as the young boy discovers his birthright yada,yada, but those are inherent in the genre itself, and while the story is a typical boy comes of age to discover his legacy, it does so in a fun and interesting manner.  There are other minor nitpicks, but that's just it.  They are minor, and won't distract you from a wonderful tale...I promise.

I look forward to completing the first book to what ever else Thomas has in store for Eric and Novogard.

I hope to review a full copy of the book once I can get my hands on one, so there will be more coming soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Elmoor-Gauntlet-Godric-ebook/dp/B00AK21Z48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355213638&sr=8-1&keywords=Eric+Elmoor+and+the+Gauntlet+of+Godric
Buy it on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment