08 January 2013

#174 Tools of a Wordsmythe

A wordsmythe isn't defined by his tools, but it never hurts to have an assortment of weapons and tools in ones arsenal.  Being that a writer often has many tools at their disposal, I'm going to take the time to share some of mine.

Wrong kind of tools



Pens
First of all, amongst the mundane are my favorite type of pens.  I really only have two types.

Pilot Precise V5 RT Retractable Extra Fine Point Rollerball Pens, 12 (Google Affiliate Ad)
Pilot G-2 Retractable Bold Point Gel Ink Pens, 12 Black Ink Pens (Google Affiliate Ad)


These are two of the finest pens I have ever used, and best of all, they write very smoothly on standard notebook paper, and are cheap to replace.   A good pen is always necessary when you write, because when the lights are off and you've got no power for your computer and other devices, you can still get work done. I used the G-2 to write one of my screenplays when the lights were off a few years ago.  I always keep one close by.

Pros

  • I love em' 
Cons
  • When I run out of ink.


Writing Pads

Once you've got a good pen, you need something to write on.  One of the best writing pads I ever received, was a birthday present from a good friend of mine.

Ampad Executive Gold Fiber Journal


This is one of the finest pads, I have ever used.  It was so good, that I used both sides of the page when using it.  Unfortunately I filled it to near capacity, but I plan to invest in another one.  What I love about it, is that it works well with any sort of pen or pencil, and that's important when you are away from home.  Don't have one of your good pens, but you are in a hotel; don't worry,this pads for you.

(note while this particular one has been discontinued, you can still find others just like it on Amazon or where ever you shop online)

Computer Applications

Notepad (Windows; every version)

File:W8Notepad.png

While lacking in many features, including spellcheck, dictionaries and other bells and whistles, Notepad is something I absolutely cannot live without.  Unlike many word processors, notepad is small, takes up very little room, has a small footprint when it comes to resources, produces files that can be shared across any platform.  It's use of .txt files can be copied into any program from full fledged Office down to this blog.

I use Notepad a lot, since it can be opened several times and thanks to Win 7, won't clutter up my desktop. Best of all is that because it is so bare bones  it barely registers on my processor usage. (which is important considering that my computer is a seven year old Pentium 4).

The best thing about .txt files is that they are really small in actual size and don't take up a lot of room on a hard drive.  Sure, they may be plain and boring, but when you need something effective, you can't go wrong with Notepad.

Pros

  • small footprint
  • universally accepted format
  • easily found
  • great for cutting and pasting into other word editors
Cons
  • No bells and whistles
  • No spell check
  • As plain as it gets







If there is one program that I truly enjoy writing with, it's this one.  Designed and programmed by an author, Ywriter is setup for writers.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of other programs but that is only because it doesn't need them.  Ywriter provides all that a writer would need.  Dictionary, spell check, grammar check, take notes for items, characters, locations.  It's just this awesome bundle of things that a writer would need, sometimes without realizing that they needed it.

Simon truly designed this from a writers perspective.  Don't believe me?

PC Magazine gave Ywriter 4 out of 5 stars.

The reviewer stated

"yWriter is a program designed for a writer's sensibilities. It keeps your eyes on the prize: finishing your novel. It's simple and somewhat sparse—just like a blank page in a typewriter, waiting to be filled with your prose. Yet it's got enough tools to keep disorganized writers on the right track. "

Did I forget to mention that Ywriter is also free.  With free updates coming all the time.  Not only is it awesome, but it is also free.

  I finished my first novel, and then when I decided that it was too big, I used Ywriter to split it apart and write another story from sections I took out.   I've been using Ywriter since about 2007-8, and continue to use it now.  When I had the opportunity to adapt Eiko into a novelized format, it was Ywriter that I used for the bulk of the work.  ...Ywriter is my editor of choice and is a tool that I simply cannot write without.

Pros

  • Perfectly balanced for writing
  • Keeps track of notes, characters and locations without having to depend on a seperate program
  • Export to HTML, RTF and TXT
  • Work Schedule allows you to pace yourself with a daily writing goal
  • Reports allow you to know how much you have done and when.
  • The ability to localise in many different languages
  • Reorganize chapters and scenes easily.
Cons
  • Not as robust as Word for anything unrelated to writing.
  • No PDF export ability.
  • Dictionary does not come pre-installed.


That's all for now, but I will have more soon.

Kenan

No comments:

Post a Comment