08 December 2013

#180 In memory of Brian

(This is a week late, so forgive me)



It's not hard to remember my first actual experience with the man who would become Brian O'Connor.  This is a role he is more well known for than any of his others, and it's not because the others didn't mean anything; it's because this one would be his catapult to true stardom.

It was 2001 when Universal's The Fast and The Furious came out into theaters.  I was always a car and street racing fanatic.  But I was a bit to meek to risk my life and my freedom to do anything like... actually street racing.

I went to see The Fast and the Furious and was thoroughly blown away.  Paul Walker's Brian Spillner aka Brian O'Connor was easily likable and convincing in his intentions versus the rough and tumble Dominic "Dom to his friends" Torretto played by deep voiced and very emotive through facial expressions Vin Diesel.  On screen the two who were against each other at first made a convincing if resistant duo.  After the film was over; I was convinced that I had not seen the last of the two together.  I was also convinced that the fire that had always smoldered had now begun to blaze out of control.  I dived into the underground street racing world of Chicago; convinced that I belonged there.  Every red light was a contest between me and someone else; if they were so interested.  The film had infected me with something and I don't think it could have been done with Vin Diesel alone.  I said that Brian was a likable character, a true hero whose moral compass always seemed off from the ethics of his job.  It seemed very easy for him to fall in with Dom and his crew on a much deeper level.  That is what Paul Walker was able to do; at least for me.  He performed a role that made me think of things inside the movie; while not watching it.  His performance wasn't what one would consider Oscar worthy but it can't be understated how profound it's effects were.  He carried the series for it's next entry 2003's 2Fast 2 Furious in the same manner that Michael Keaton did for Batman Returns.  The series felt off as Tyrese replaced Vin Diesel, but still Walker delivered a solid performance as the fallen but surviving Brian, who had moved across the country from LA to Florida.  If the movie only had Vin Diesel in it and not Paul, I'd have been ok, but I honestly felt that  his performance along with Tyrese's wittiness and delivery helped make 2Fast a fun summer film.

Paul and Vin (mostly) were absent for the follow up Tokyo Drift, but returned together in 2009.  After nearly a decade both men were back, and the series has been breaking records since.  Paul Walker was known for a few really good roles, but none more special and more endearing than Brian O' Connor.

I was devastated because I have watched his character grow and develop in ways few other cinematic characters can.

The Series will most likely go on in his absence and will still thrive, but from one fan to another; it won't be the same without him.

To that turbocharged Nismo V-6 driving, ethically challenged but heart and the right place former cop and federal agent turned international criminal and ultimately world hero Brian O'Conner and the great actor that played him; Paul Walker.

R.I.P

No comments:

Post a Comment