10 September 2014

Making of the Third Room Random Blathering; Limited Equipment and Technique

Since I had attained a camera for making ICOH, It was the obvious choice.  Even after all these years I still haven't quite mastered it, but I've gotten good enough to know how to use it, and how to change the settings.  My camera setup isn't very complicated and represents barebones Indie film spirit straight out of the book of Rodriguez.

Because of the setup that I am using (Camera, Tripod, Digital Audio Recorder) I don't have the option of a lot of different setups that I would love to use.  Those will come in time.  Until that great day, I will be forced to take a lot of separate shots and down the line use some creative editing.

What I am hoping on is that through the use of this short film and the ones that are to come, that I will develop a technique that allows me to adapt to any sort of shooting setup whether using A single 550D or multi camera set ups using a a RED or an Arriflex (drool).  I have to learn many new things in this process, and I know as the projects get bigger, I won't always be the camera man, but it's great to learn and more helpful to the cinematographer down the line.

Even with a limited or in our case super limited budget, you can still learn good technique.  Look at some of your favorite movies, or even movies you wretch at, and analyze a single scene; something simple and then try to duplicate it.  It's not the camera or the visual effects; but the actual camera work that's important at this stage.  You can copy the way a camera is setup regardless if it's steadycam or a crane shot, if you are inclined to build the rigs, but there are some very simple shots that you can replicate with a camera and a basic tripod.  Go ahead and try it.

Limited Equipment allows for a certain amount of shot creativity.  You are well aware of what you can do, and what you can't, so use that to your advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment