30 August 2020

Losing Chadwick Boseman...

We only got a glimpse of how bright your star shined over Wakanda, now sleep and walk with your ancestors.

I had not seen all of his work. I respected him work as a talented Black Actor who was a rising star in Hollywood, but I was not rushing out to see his films. I did see 42 on Cable, but that was it. Then I saw Avengers: Civil War I was impressed with the gravitas that he showed on screen. I didn't hide my excite to see Black Panther on film. I had the first issue of his comic, a gift from a relative that had passed on. Seeing Chadwick as Prince T'Challa was humbling, but I didn't really get it, until I went to see Black Panther, while on furlough from work. When Black Panther was finally released in the theater, I was on furlough from work. I was not in a good place as a professional nor was I secure in my work life. Watching Ryan Coogler's vision of Wakanda brought me to tears. Seeing Chadwick deliver cool lines, like "I never Freeze" as an opposition to the modern black man who fears the words "freeze", his performance gave me hope. I left the theater feeling a sense of pride that I had never felt before. Chadwick's performance was one of many on an ensemble cast that featured many great black actors. They all delivered the goods, but it was Chadwick who stood at the lead. He was the piece by which all the great talents converged. I am greatful that I got to witness his shine. I'll try to remain encouraged in the future, but for now...one panther to another; he gets to join his ancestors.

Image may contain: 2 people


 Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'Diagnosed in 2016. Man gave us Black Panther, Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame, Thurgood Marshall, 21 Bridges and 5 Bloods- back to back with cancer. We witnessed strength and honor. Twitter Phone Becausethat'swhatheroesdo Because that's what heroes'

Chadwick Boseman b. 1976 - d. 2020

Brack Panther to Black Panther.

No comments:

Post a Comment