18 March 2021

In my Dreamspace: Places that defined me.

 Last night, in a moment of quiet reflection I took some time to jump into Google VR; a sort  of VR Combination of Google Earth and Google Maps.  I was drawn to a particular space and time over my forty odd years.  Drawn back to Chicago and some of the places of my youth.

Whoops, how did that get in there?


Planet Earth...dur


There is  a significance to that place.  It's the first place I remember growing up.  See my memory has always been bad so there are details that I often forget, but one thing that keeps me connected to the past are the places that I've lived and few places exist in my memory like that one apartment.




My tree.  As a kid I once thought that any sharp thing could be used to cut down something.  I was only in first or 2nd grade (probably first) I didn't know any better, so I brought a razor blade to school.  I was thusly suspended.  



While not the best shot/perspective, this is the alley where I did my infamous DDT after some kid broke my glasses.  It was also the alley that offered a short cut to my house, even though my mom told me not to take it.  I never found the alley ways to be dangerous.  


The building on the left was where my best friend Andre lived for years.  Sleepovers, holidays, Sega Genesis and Nintendo Entertainment System were the items of the day.  I never found Andre again but I always hold out hope that maybe we will see each other once more and talk about the old days.


Bryn Mawr Elementary School or what is now known as Bouchet Math & Science Academy.  The old Annex building is in the upper right hand corner, while the main school is in the lower left.  This is where I discovered many of my passions for life as a young kid.  This is also where many school yard brawls were had..



South Shore Country club.  Spent many years there, mostly to go to the beach. Over the years I would return here to go to the beach with friends and loved ones.  There's still a bit of magic to the places that has never faded.

Before this strip mall went up, I used to roam abandoned houses in search for adventure.   When it was under construction, I used to skateboard in the back and front.  Good times.

I end up doing exactly what people do when they reach a certain age.  They are living in their memories, I've just found a better way to do it.




1 comment:

  1. Time is but a journey. And no destination is better than the journey.

    ReplyDelete