01 May 2010

Carving A Path To Success Pt.65 (The Dull Blade)

As of late, I've suffered quite a few setbacks, both personal and professional.  Since this blog is moreso devoted to my professional, I'll stick with that.

As I may have mentioned previously I started submitting my screenplays.  I felt that I was ready and it was the next step.  After all in order for someone to recognize that you have talent is to put it out there.  I started submitting to various agencies looking for representation.  I also submitted to an acquaintance that I had met online who was apart of a production company (This was back in October).

I kept going on, finishing a few other projects while checking on the results of my work.  I got a little bit anxious but that's expected.  Then the bad things in the personal life started to happen and because of that the importance of good news became a shining beacon.  

I didn't get that good news.

I never heard back from any of the agencies that I sent query letters with SASE's too.  Not a word or a peep.

I never heard anything back from any of the agencies that I sent loglines too.  Nothing.  No "we're not interested." or "you suck".  

My initial screenplay made it to the highest level of the chain of command.  From the hands of multiple readers with a consider rating... only to fail at the last stage.  The reason why.  The cost of developement was high and my dialogue was too expositional.

The final thing...  I had won entrance into a screenwriting contest through the use of a clever logline.  However, when the first round was chosen, I wasn't on that list.  

So basically I have proven that I didn't have what it took.

Sometimes I take it personally, as though the world has something against me.  I mean after all, I've read hundreds of screenplays and watched twice as many movies, and yet I can't catch a break with mine.  I'm sorry I don't live in L.A. or have the means to fund my own picture.  Then I read another screenplay and see that someone else was able to do what I wasn't with such subpar material.  Not I for one don't think my screenplays are pure platinum, but compared to the utter bullshit that I have read that made it into theaters... I just have to wonder.

You want examples.  Fine I'll give them to you.

Miss March
Armored
Ninja Cheerleaders
Zombie Strippers
The Ugly Truth
Undead
Observe and Report
Internet Dating
Disaster Movie
Dead Or Alive
Dragon Ball Evolution
Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li.
Love Song
Legion


I don't hate these movies.  I loathe them, and yet someone believed in them enough for them to get made.  Yet I have no such luck.  Am I envious?  Most likely.  Am I jealous?  Possibly.  Am I angry and hurt.  Definitely.

So I feel that carving a path has gotten harder since my blade is no longer as sharp as it once was.






No comments:

Post a Comment