03 May 2011

#90 My thoughts on Fast Five

Went to see Fast Five a few days ago and while I would have enjoyed it anyway, this time I was a bit overzealous in my joy.  For starters, this was the return of a few character who had not been seen since the 2 Fast 2 Furious (namely Tyrese and Ludacris) It also brought back Sung Kang (first seen in Tokyo Drift as Han) .  I won't bore you with details about the story, or the awesome races, or hot babes or even hotter cars.  Instead I just wanted to say a few things.  First of all, unlike some of the previous Fast and Furious movies, there are a few scenes that are going to require you to suspend massive amounts of belief. You will know them when you see them, but they are done so well with such visual impact, that you cannot help but believe that it is possible.

The theme of the movie has changed a bit.  It's no longer about street racing anymore, as that died in pop culture a few years back.  The theme is more akin to Oceans Eleven or The Italian Job; and I like that.  The film has always had cars, but as time changes the focus changes too.  If you think about it, the series has always been about  a hesit in one way or another.  The first one didn't focus on it, but essentially started the movie with a heist.

In short, I loved the movie.  Seeing the main guys from the series together again only reaffirmed my belief in Hollywood.  They may have made a misstep or two (mostly in Tokyo Drift), but they managed to utilize what they learned and improve on that.  Fast Five was going to be great in my mind before I saw it and so it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment