22 May 2015

#200 Rocksmith 2014: 60 Day Challenge: Week 1

The Path of A Rock God



Day 1: I got the game.  After reading a lot of the reviews, I was a bit concerned about the install process.  There weren't horror stories, but let's just say picking the PC version over the console made me a bit trepidacious.  Never the less, I knew it would be the best version for me, since I could listen to the game with headphones on and not disturb anyone.

I've got my guitar and I'm ready to go.

Day 4:  The last entry was written after the fact, so I'm going to do my best to keep these up to date.  

I entered the Rocksmith 60 Day Challenge.

My impressions so far.  

This isn't just a game in the traditional sense of Guitar Hero and Rockband.  There is a lot more to playing the guitar than one would believe.  It's easy to play badly and take for granted how good a guitar sounds in the hands of Santana or Hendrix.  I believe that this tool, and that's primarily what it is, can help me learn guitar.  

I may never become a rock god like Slash, or a skilled Blues man like B.B. King (RIP) but I feel that in time, I will become proficient enough to play on my own.  That's my goal.  To use this and develop a skill.  There are no dreams of rock stardom for me.  Instead; a desire to learn something cool and useful.  

Will Rocksmith do it?

In a word; Yes.  Rocksmith has in a week, taught me more about playing a guitar, than I've known in my entire life.  Even my air guitar has changed, because I am playing actual chords while doing it.  

My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that some notes don't register, even though I know I'm playing them.  Still this may have more to do with technique and I can't ignore that.  

I'm still a newb, and I have much more growing to do.  My dreams of playing a guitar seem much more realized now.

No comments:

Post a Comment