18 January 2020

Looking_forward/Left_behind

It's 3:22 AM.

I'm watching Make It RC (Firebird Drift Build: Part 3 Adding Electronics, Steering, First Test Drive)

It may seem like a strange thing to be watching, but it's not really.  

RC Building and Hobby making have been a passion of mine since the early 80's, most notably due to of all things: Back to the Future.






  You know the scene; Twin Pines Mall Parking Lot, Doc Brown and Marty McFly recording, where Doc unveils the DeLorean.  This scene was the start of many ties to that movie and my life and interest.  My love of time travel, the mindset of looking towards the future and also what is left behind or sometimes who is left behind.


In the last few years; I've started to lean more towards mechanical, electrical and data sciences.  I've been doing so, because I've had some predictions about the future manifest (listen to me using a word my mother loves) and I feel the need to be ready as important as ever.  I know that the future will require a host of assorted skills.  I've talked about this in a previous blog post (which you can find here)

Communications from the Future about the Past
The Code Word Is: The Writing is On the Wall

2020 Presidential Candidate Andrew Yang is talking about automation and unless you've been living under a rock, you've seen it too.  McDonalds has automatic order stations, Walmart has self-check out.  Robots and automated assemblies are nothing new, but the rate at which human jobs are lost to it, is going to become felt even harder by those who are caught unaware.  While There's Orange in the Cream at Pennav, people seem to think that all of those jobs that are lost to automation can be obtained. If we keep things the way they are or if we take them back to another time we can collectively stick our heads in the sand if not up our asses.

If the great automation push of the 80's didn't teach you anything; then I'm not sorry for your ignorance.

The world is changing.


You can't fight it.  

I've seen it happen before as in literally bore witness to it in play.  It was around 1996.  I was working at my old highschool DuSable High School in the Internet Lab.

There was an old gym teacher who came in one day who had never used a computer.  All he knew about a keys was from using a typewriter, but he was very old fashioned.  This was the 90's, so computer access wasn't super wide spread.  Someone like him at the time wouldn't have had very much use for a computer.  Dusable was lucky, because we had just obtained a dedicated T-1 line.  While this gave us High-Speed Internet, things were quite basic back then.  

Netscape Navigator was still a thing and most of our access was organized with Unix as the backend.  This teacher wouldn't ever need to know more than a few basic commands just to get into the new email address we had established for him.  The future is going to be a lot more of this sort of behavior.  Old and new alike unable to grasp technology they are unused to.

So "what's the point Nytmaer?"

Looking_forward

My point: Someday you are going to realize that what you know now isn't enough to lead you into the future.

After a point I realized that in my goal to acquire knowledge, I had started down a path that I've never attempted to travel.   My mind was opening up to new concepts, ideas, theories, facts, number, data; where my mind had only slogged through before. 

Technology and automation will soon find their way into places you've never considered.  

As technology improves, so will the efficiency of the job that it is set to complete.  Learning and trying to Master that technology will place me around a new circle of similarly minded individuals.  People who are hobbyist, all the way to professionals will become familiar.  I will steer myself towards events and those events will expose me to many who are of a similar mind.


Left_behind 

In your initial growth, you're going to feel confined by your current world, like a sweater 
that no longer fits.  You will naturally seek to expand your horizons and that will have you seeking other tasks and pursuits more relevant to what you have been doing.  For someone like me, this causes me to withdraw even more than I normally do.   Very few of my friends and family are into what I'm into (and those that are, give no indication).  Those that are into creating don't seem interested in trying to challenge themselves.  The rest don't give any indication that they aren't into creating, few care enough about science to give a shit.  They don't see what I see.  They are unprepared for a tech world and there's nothing I can do to prepare them for it.  It's not their fault.  Looking into the future means looking forward and when you do that; there's a negative to that; it means that you'll lose some people along the way.  You'll lose some of the things you've loved in order to reach that future.

In a way; it's no different to how you lose brick and mortar stores but you gain an Amazon.  You may not lose them all, but it's a guarantee that you will lose some.

If we never learn to take something apart, test the assumptions, and reconstruct it, we end up trapped in what other people tell us — trapped in the way things have always been done. When the environment changes, we just continue as if things were the same.

This isn't a bad thing.  It's the evolution of the life of an individual, and a part of the process of living.

-N


No comments:

Post a Comment