13 March 2022

Writing an Isekai...The Infinite World or something like that.

Sorry Kirito, we can't all be OP like you.

I've been struggling since I quit writing to find my voice again.  I'm trying to express myself through a personal/fictional journey that I've never taken before.  I love isekai manga and anime, but I tire of protagonist who start out super powerful.  While I love the notion of wish fulfillment (See Quorafters/ Master of Creation).  I also believe in characters that have to fight and struggle to get an advantage.  That's why I only grant the MC the most basic abilities.  No over-the-top abilities, no summoning goddesses, no super weapons, no high level magics.


 I wanted a character (Azumar) who survives based on their ingenuity and cleverness, instead of having one overpowered ability capable of decimating large amounts of enemies.  This main character will discover their own abilities in time and the character may prove to be as powerful as Kirito by the time things are said and done, but when they get there, they will be deserving of their power.  Now that's not to say that every Isekai MC is over powered, but far too many are and that's a cheap way out to me.  

So Azumar will struggle.  He won't always win.  He won't always get the treasured sword or sacred enchanted item, but he will discover his own forgotten strength.  He will use the skills he learned in life to accomplish his goals, and discover the truth about how he got to this fantasy world.  

Since I've been writing in small sections, I figured I'd treat the individual parts as what makes up a chapter.  I'm going to go back and rewrite some sections when I make them available.  Keep in mind that I stopped writing for years and this is the only significant thing I've written since. 

I'm writing an isekai because I identify with wishing you could change your life into something you that may be more suited to you.  You can't always dramatically change your life, but that's kind of what writing does.

As an addition, it's fair to say that the character is based on myself and my life experiences, but I feel we often have to go with what we know best. There are skills and abilities I'd like a character to have and if I want to see that, I have to be the one to make it happen.  So Azumar is somewhat based on me. There are enough changes so that he "isn't me" but there are definitely something from my own life that I am heavily borrowing from.

So I'll start posting new content to either here or Wattpad.  It's easier to upload to Blogger, but Wattpad has the potential for more eyes to see the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment